Choosing an installation location for your tankless water heater
There are many options when choosing where to install your Stiebel Eltron electric tankless water heater. Due to its small physical size and the fact that it does not require any venting, it can be mounted in many locations where you would not even consider locating a conventional water heater. Closets, cupboards, pantries, under-stair storage areas, garages, basements, and laundry rooms are all common installation locations. Before choosing your installation location, there are a few guidelines that you should take into account to ensure that the installation is safe and is also convenient for the purposes of future access for maintenance and servicing, etc.
The Stiebel Eltron tankless water heater is design for indoor installation only. Installation in an outdoor location may be possible, where permitted by local plumbing and electrical codes, as long as the unit is installed within a suitable enclosure that will protect it from rain, splashed water, direct sunlight, debris, insects, and other harm. If installed in an exterior location, the unit must never be subjected to freezing temperatures when water is inside the unit. If the water inside your Stiebel Eltron tankless water heater was to freeze, severe damage could occur (not covered under warranty).
Perhaps the most important factors to consider when selecting an installation location is your existing plumbing configuration, access to electrical power, and the location of the various hot water demands in the home (bathrooms, kitchens and laundry areas for instance). An ideal location will minimize changes to your plumbing configuration, limit the amount of wiring that needs to be run from the main electrical panel, and be relatively central to all of the major water demands so as to minimize the time it takes for water to travel between the heater and the faucets etc. For most applications installing your Stiebel Eltron tankless water heater in the same location as your old conventional tank-type water heater will make the most sense.
General Installation Location Recommendations:
- ensure that that there will be access to the heater for future maintenance and servicing if required.
- keep out of the reach of children so that they cannot tamper with the temperature control of injure themselves by touching the hot output water pipe.
- do NOT allow any combustible materials to come in contact with the water heater or outlet water pipe. The manufacturer recommends that combustible materials not be kept within 24 inches of the water heater and the output hot water pipe.
- avoid installing your tankless water heater in a location prone to excessive humidity, moisture, or dust, or in an area where it may be splashed with water or other liquids.
- do not install your water heater directly under water pipes or air conditioning lines that might leak or condense moisture that could then drip onto the heater.
- do NOT install above electrical boxes or junctions.
- if you install your Stiebel Eltron tankless water heater on a second floor or in a heated attic space, make sure that you follow all special code requirements for such installations as required for your area.
We also recommend that you install a drip pan (connected to a safe drain) below the water heater, or an active water leak detector with automatic shut-off valve, to avoid property damage in the unlikely event of a leak. (Recommended Leak Detector: FloodStopper water leak detector.
Back to Tankless Installation Main Page